Friday, January 8, 2010

Mornings

I don't like mornings so it would stand to reason that I don't like running in the morning.  But that's what I did today.  I got up...then woke up my hubby.  While he was in the shower, I dressed the kids, packed their lunches, fed them breakfast and waited for him to come downstairs and be present for the car pool pick-up.  Then I filled my water bottle, grabbed my ipod and headed out into the freezing cold morning air....and quickly decided that TODAY is not an outside running day.  I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill.   It use to be that while I was running I would mentally compose my blog posts.  I was blogging more frequently and had a lot more complaining to do then.  So I spent some time thinking about this blog.  For the 100th time I had to ask myself, "What am I doing?".  It's been a few months now, I'm running 3+ miles every time I go, I feel better about myself, but I still don't LIKE running.  I don't think it is going to be my preferred method of exercise.  So I was thinking: "What kind of person ENJOYS this activity?"  which got me to thinking about all my family and friends who actually l-o-v-e to do this thing.  And you know what? The die-hards I am familiar with all do have some rather similar collective personality traits.  Most of them like mornings.  Most of them are schedule people.  Most of them are organized.  Most of them keep planners/calendars/etc.  They balance their checkbooks right away, not at the end of the week or month.  They know where everything is in their house and only have 1 "junk" drawer (that tends to be rather organized with cubbies or sections for everything).    I'm wondering:  if you are a runner, who LOVES to run, do you share these personality traits?  It's just a theory I'm working on.  I think these personality traits are positive, effective, helpful and wonderful.  There should be at least one person in every family who possesses them....probably.   Are you that person?  Just some treadmill thoughts for today.  

1 comment:

  1. Am I a die-hard runner? No. But I want to be. Just like I want to be a morning person. Just like I want to be organized, and live in a home where everything has a place AND is in it's place. But I have a tiny streak of procrastination that tends to distract me from 100% accomplishing these wants. I also like to blame the cold weather on my lack of running at the moment! Man! I wish I had had a treadmill or eliptical at home!
    -Janalee

    PS I kind of thought that die-hard runners are more of the go-getter's that know what they want and figure out a way to get it. They may seem like they're schedule people, but that's just because they know that if they're not, then they'll forget to make time to run. Or, they may seem like they're super organized, but if they weren't then they'll ALWAYS use housecleaning as an excuse not to run. So, I think that Die-Hard runners are the people that don't make excuses- Therefore, I must not be a die-hard runner. I just love running becuase of the way it makes me feel about myself. I have more energy (eventually), I look cuter in my clothing, and I have the junkfood cravings less and healthy food tastes better! So, there's my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete