Monday, June 21, 2010

Catching up

I tried to write on here a few times during our last vacation but somehow I kept getting interrupted or the internet was down or.....well....I was prevented.  So the past 2 weeks have been busy.  First of all, and most exciting, Tracey came to visit again.  We had a wonderful time.  She did 12 photo sessions though and is now furiously editing and proofing and all that stuff.  The girl has got talent!  We did manage to spend about 2 days at our lake house in upstate New York though.  Ahhhhh, relaxing.  Except that it rained one day. Sad.  We will see each other again in August though and it will be all about playing.   Anyway....our Lake House is a bit remote and we like the chance to get away from it all, so there is no internet.  I know, we are REALLY roughin' it out there.  I managed to go running only 1 day.  And I ate horribly.  In fact, I refuse to step on the scale until Saturday because I don't want to know about the damage.  I'm going to try to eat well and exercise every day this week in hopes of righting my calorie binge.  I find it entertaining that folks seem to think ONE session at the gym will somehow erase a week of poor eating habits, or even a meal.  When I am running, all out, for 40 minutes I only burn just over 400 calories.  That's 4 apples.   Odds are, when we "splurge" we are consuming more then 400 calories.  It's just the way things go.  Don't fool yourself.  Although the 40 minutes of cardio will help, it won't erase it...but it's better then doing nothing, right?  Right!  I recognize that I'm going to need to drop my calories and burn more calories every day this week to make up for eating with abandon.  Recognize the sacrifice you are making when you decide to eat something that might not be all that great for you.  Is it REALLY worth it?  You aren't looking at just 30 minutes on the treadmill or the elliptical.  30 minutes will NOT burn away that cupcake.  Anyway....I have a lot of recovery to do.  Today I went to the gym and ran for 20 minutes, did some sit-ups, used the URG (have you ever done that? ARGH!), and lifted weights.  The coolest part of all this, I took my 7 year old daughter with me.  It was her first time.  She loved the treadmill, was disappointed that her legs weren't long enough to try the stationary bike, decided that she could URG and be a rower when she grows up...and maxed out at 12 reps with the  3 lbs weights.  So cute.  Fun.  While I did abs she rolled around on an exercise ball.  We spent 45 minutes at the gym together.  I think we'll do it again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment