Monday, May 17, 2010

Portion control...or the lack thereof

So I may be testing the seriousness of the warning the doctors gave me regarding the amount of running I do.  I ran a 5K on Friday, walked a lot on Saturday, did another 5K on the elliptical on Sunday, and went running again this morning.  I just REALLY enjoy the exercise. I'm also really counting on the exercise canceling out some of my more unfortunate dietary choices (I had a piece of cheesecake tonight...it wasn't the biggest piece in the bunch, but still....I ate it and LOVED it.)  Even weight watchers gives you "extra points" for exercising.  I'm all about extra points.  I recognize that my one vice in this world is food.  Since food will always be part of my life, I need to find a way to redefine my relationship with it.   I'm starting with small steps.  I don't have dessert every evening after dinner.  I USE to do that sort of thing.  Now I rarely have dessert...and when I do, I try to keep my portion under control.  I've also figured out that despite the fact that for many years I ate like I was 2 people (and for 9 months of some of those years I was technically eating for 2, but did the baby REALLY need it's own Happy Meal?  Probably not.)  I am most certainly NOT 2 people and I don't need to have seconds.  I really don't.  That's been a hard one for me.  Portion control is something I have always struggled with.  But when I DO feel like having seconds I just think to myself, "Are you 2 people?  NO.  You are not.  You don't need seconds."  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes the bread is just THAT good.  AHHHHH....BREAD.   I could write a whole other entry about bread.  But if I start that right now, I may have to eat some.   I would need to figure out how many miles I would have to run to enjoy a roll (okay, let's be honest, it would be 2 rolls).  That might not be a bad bit of knowledge for me to obtain.  I'll work on it and let you know what I figure out...'cause I know YOU want bread too.  Don't you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment