Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day Three - Shan

Just to make sure we're all on the same page: we are using a program called "Couch Potato to 5K". Tracey sent me the link....maybe we'll post it on here somewhere, so you can find it too, if you want. Anyway, it comes with a handy little "training guide". Breaking your runs down weekly. Basically you run 3 times a week. And from what I can tell each week the running segments are the same all week long. WEEK ONE is a 5 minute warm-up walk and then you alternate between jogging 60 seconds and then recovering for 90 seconds. Repeat for 20 minutes (roughly 8 cycles). Today was my 3rd day...thus concluding my first week. Just before running today I let my curiosity get the better of me and I took a look at what I would be doing in WEEK TWO. Those instructions are: 5 minute warm-up (seems like a standard expectation) followed by 90 seconds of running and then 2 minutes of recovery. Repeat for 20 minutes. I think that the eventual goal will be to run for 20 minutes without stopping...which at this point seems CRAZY...and be able to complete a 5K in about that same amount of time....which seems even crazier. But, I'm willing to suspend disbelief for now and give the program a shot.
So armed with this new knowledge I headed on out for my run with it fresh in my mind. I did okay. It isn't getting easier but today my 90 seconds of recovery felt really long and the 60 seconds felt short. After I finished my 8 required rotations I was feeling pretty okay and maybe a little bit over confident....why not try ONE segment of what I will be expected to do next time? I ran/jogged for 90 seconds. Those 90 seconds felt really REALLY long. I'm not looking forward to my next run knowing that this final rotation I did today will be my pattern for the next 3 runs and then it just gets harder...I know because I cheated and looked ahead. It's not gonna be pretty. But again, I'll suspend my disbelief. After all, one week ago I wouldn't have thought I would have done what I DID just do...I ran 3 times in one week...because I WANTED to. Not because I was being chased by a thug or chasing after my children but because I chose to do it. Maybe this isn't the craziest thing I've ever done, but I'm still trying to figure out something that tops it. Nothing comes to mind.

2 comments:

  1. So, I've been thinking about it. I think this is the craziest thing WE have ever done. Crazier then sneaky trips to Lincoln and definitely crazier than buying same day plane tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plane tickets and road trips don't even come close to the level or crazy we have achieved with this one. We've outdone ourselves. For sure.

    ReplyDelete