Wednesday, September 23, 2009

How Legos Relate to Running - Tracey

Well . . .  mass emails must work. Shannon's crew has made a showing.

Where's mine!?

Ok, enough self-pity.

So, as promised, I took a little trip to SLC Running today.  What a wonderful place!  Since I was the only customer I got the manager all to my little self.  After explaining my quest and my pain, he stuck me on the treadmill.  He videotaped (with a real VHS tape and everything)  me as I ran to check out my form and how I run.  Come to find out my left leg is running perfectly but my right foot turns in when I run and I'm landing too far back on my heel.  This my friends (I mean Shannon's friends) is contributing to my shin splints.

But what does it all mean you ask?

Well, apparently the shoes I'm currently running in are perfect.  The Adidas Supernova.  The manager just bought them for his wife.  I was pleased that he told me this and didn't try to sell me new shoes.  He did sell me inserts.  Apparently this will help with the pronating and my high arches.  I'll let you know on Thursday.

Tracey, didn't you mention legos?

Yes . . . yes, I did. The reason you get shin splints is because the muscles are weak and separating ( I think.  I'm not a doctor.  My husband will be in a few weeks, well a Phd anyway.  His brother's are all doctors though!)   He recomended some exercises to strengthen these muscles.  The first exercise is to lay a towel flat on the floor and use your toes to pull the towel toward you.  Or my favorite, picking up legos or marbles with your toes and moving them.

Finally, my freakishly long toes will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment