Sunday, September 27, 2009

W:2 D:1 (week 2, Day 1) Shan

This week's goal: walk 5 minutes, run/jog 90 seconds, walk 2 minutes. Repeat walking and running for 20 minutes. This is what I did today. And for the first time I tried to track my DISTANCE as well as my time. I'm not thrilled with the results. It took me 20 minutes to run 1.2 miles! 20 MINUTES?!?! I swear in High School I use to walk a mile in 10 minutes. Okay, it's true that I'm no spring chicken anymore. A lot has changed since my high school days (thank goodness!) BUT this is disappointing. Really. 20 minutes to do 1 mile? Isn't a half marathon like 13 miles? I can't even JOG one mile right now. How am I possibly going to run/jog 13? Don't worry...I'm not discouraged. I'm not depressed. I'm angry at myself and frustrated. I'm frustrated because this week my workout will be a bit hindered. I have a "condition" called psoratic arthritis. You could google it, but why? I'm going to tell you what it means for me...(note that this manifests itself differently in a lot of people) twice a month my joints (namely my knees) become irritated and inflamed. The muscles around my knees flare up and the ones that connect to the TOP of my knee cap become SO swollen that my knee refuses to bend. I take stairs one at a time. I walk with a noticeable limp. It usually lasts 3-4 days and then goes away entirely. It's odd. It's frustrating. and...it's here. But, I don't know if it's because it's the first day (of my 3-4 day swollen knee) or because I've been running but the swelling isn't all that bad. I was able to jog (slower then normal and with a limp) and I am hoping that in 2 days I can go again. I'm frustrated because I'm committed and motivated but I'm hindered by a condition that there is currently no cure for. There is "maintenance" but it can only do so much. I'm sitting on my couch right now with my knee on a pillow and an ice pack on it with hopes of controlling any swelling. And although I am disappointed, I am also very happy. Why? Because I did it. I did my workout. There was a time (one week ago) when I would have simply declared all physical activity taboo to baby my knee. Instead, I went for a little jog and when it started to hurt, I slowed down...but I didn't STOP....and when it started to feel better again, I jogged a little more. I feel GOOD about that....but I'm still disappointed about the 20 minute mile. What does this mean for me? It means I'm going to fix this situation. No more 20 minute miles for me. That's gonna change.

Oh...on another note. I went to a running store and purchased my new shoes. It was humiliating. Really, it was. They made me run....in the store...in front of a lot of people. (Confession: I currently run on an indoor track. No one else is there to watch me and all my wiggly parts, flushy face, slow pace, suckin' wind body. And, there are no pine cones (see DAY 1 post) or cracks in the road. Just me on a nice asphalt running track. It's safe.) The nice guy who helped me recommended a couple of shoes based on the way I PRONATE (for those of you who don't know what this is, it is to walk or run with most of your weight on the outside of the feet). He recommended the ASICS: Kayano (beautiful. $139) and these:



My new shoes. I really wanted the Asics...and have decided to reward myself with them down the road. I need to EARN those babies. For now, these will be great training shoes. I talk to them when I run. I know. Crazy. But, as you can clearly see...nothing about this is sane, so it fits right in. The shoes need a name. Right now I just call 'em "Ladies". As in, "Come on ladies...kick my b*tt." They did a good job today. I tucked them lovingly back in their box when I got home. Good night, Ladies! See you in 2 days.

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up!!!! Because of you, I'm going to get up tomorrow and run! If you can get moving even with your sore knees I can get myself out of bed!!! See you tomorrow!
    -Janalee

    ReplyDelete