Tuesday, September 29, 2009

W:2 D:1 Tracey Style

Today I discovered treadmill.  Ok, techinically I already knew it existed but today I ran on it!  It was super super windy outside and I knew that would kill all motivation to start Week 2.  So, I made an appointment at the gym daycare for Sam and we ran inside.

It was much better than I thought it would be.  Here are the pros and cons of treadmill running as I see them.


Pros
Air conditioning
Television
Daycare (especially nice when your son has been naughty ALL DAY LONG!)
Running partners can run at their own paces
You can track your heartrate
You can track your distance more accurately
Consistent pacing
The surface is MUCH more forgiving than asphault or concrete
Interesting people to watch

Cons
It's inside
The scenary doesn't change
You can't see how far you've gone on an actual trail
Your son doesn't get to be outside in the stroller
No tanning
Lots of faster skinny people to watch
You can't look at your husband's cute bottom when he runs ahead of you. (A useful distraction technique)
I think I'm faster outside.

As far as Week 2 goes, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!  My joints are feeling decent and I was able to complete all of the segments on the first day!

We're making progress people.

1 comment:

  1. I hate treadmills! Here's why. You know how cool it feels to walk on a moving sidewalk (like the ones they have in airports). You feel like you're speeding past with just a slow pace. That's how I feel once I get off a treadmill, only I get sick to my stomach and I'm terrified of puking right there in the gym! So I try to use the eliptical instead (and it doesn't hurt my knees as bad) But true, the benefit to a treadmill in a gym is the babysitting and you get to figure out how to move your arms again since they're not attached to a stroller.
    Keep up the good work!!! I got up this morning because Shan got new shoes! Now I have to get up tomorrow becuase you ran on a treadmill. You INSPIRE ME!

    ReplyDelete