Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Correction....

Sadly I have to make a correction.  A week ago I incorrectly logged an outside run as a 5k.  I drove it just to make sure it was 3.1 miles.  Well, turns out that when I pushed my odometer reader to record the trip I managed to switch it from MILES to KILOMETERS.  That's right.  What I thought was 3.1 miles was actually 3.1 KMs!  Cr*p!  I was very disappointed to discover this.  
So today I went for a run...outside...again.  I'm pretty sure I did a 5K today but won't know for sure until I drive it tomorrow.  It took me 45 minutes.   I walked more today then I have my past few runs.  I ran for 25 minutes straight before I took a break to walk. Running outside is *really* hard.  There are these sneaky little things called "false flats" when the road slowly and subtly inclines.  I think my entire run today was a "false flat" 'cause it took me lots longer to run the first half and then when I turned around to run home I was faster and it was SOOO much easier. Gotta love that gravity sometimes....like on a downhill.   The first half of my run my legs were burning, my breathing was heavy and I found myself considering abandoning the entire effort for the day. I was in agony. My nose was runny (a side effect from running in the cold), my glasses kept fogging up and I got a cramp on my right side.  It was not a pleasant experience.  But it was a beautiful crisp day and I was determined to do the run.  Besides, it wasn't like I could stop 1/2 way...I had to get home.
In the end, it was worth it...of course.  But I was not thinking happy thoughts during my run.  In fact, I was thinking that I don't want to do this anymore.  I really wanted to just stop and if I had been at the gym running on the treadmill, I probably would have stopped.  SIGH.  8 weeks.  When does this become a habit?  Soon.  I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment