Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkey Trot

So I had originally organized a small 5k Turkey Trot for yesterday morning.  And then my family hijacked the plan by deciding that they simply couldn't wait to leave town and elected to leave Tuesday.  However, because I was committed to running a 5K by Thanksgiving, this morning I got up and ran a 5K all by myself.  There is NOTHING like running on a quiet country road, perfect weather, visions of turkey and pie and other such trimmings to make for an amazing run.  It was the "hilliest" run I've ever done.  Up hill, down hill, up hill, up hill some more, etc.  
I have to confess that I've been struggling the past week with this running thing.  It seems that I am good for about 30 minutes and then I get bored.  I'm concerned that 30 minutes of running may be my maximum.  Which is WAY short of the 13 mile mark.  Right now the idea of running for 2 hours minimum is so beyond comprehension.  I seriously hit a wall at 30 minutes.  That's it, that's the best that I can do.  So now that I am running a 5K regularly, I'm just going to hang out here for a bit.  I think I'm just going to spend some time making my 5K faster.  The goal will be to run 5 miles by March.  I'm anticipating lots of indoor running in the future.  Although the weather has been remarkably cooperative to date, it won't stay that way.   
Anyway....the run today was excellent and worth every bite of Thanksgiving indulgence.  Hope you all enjoyed a Happy day with family and/or friends.  

2 comments:

  1. Haha...I missed the memo about the Turkey Trot being terminated. I showed up to the barn at 8:05am thinking I'd missed it. I even drove to your house wondering if there was some mistake...however when I knocked on the very dark house I figured you'd gone up to "campus" early. I maybe we'll try again before Christmas...but I'm glad that you were able to get a Trot in before T-day...I was less diligent. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very different day - but that's to be expected. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete