Thursday, October 8, 2009

OOOOOH, we're half way there...

To start with you must read the title of this blog and SING it...as in Bon Jovi style.  Tracey and I both built our play lists 2000 miles apart without input from each other...and yet, this Bon Jovi song made it to both our lists.  It has special meaning in our friendship and we have probably listened to it together over 100 times.  It rocks.  And we felt really cool last night when WE RAN TOGETHER on a treadmill at the gym to this song.  Fists pumping in the air, out of breath, but totally loving what we were doing.  If our relationship has a soundtrack, this would be the theme song.  
Anyway, how cool is it that we actually got to run together?!?  She's here.  At my house.  With her son.  And we went running together.  It was awesome.  It will serve as motivation for the next 6 weeks.  That's right...we only have 6 weeks left to reach the 5K mark.  Are we going to do it?  I dunno.  Week 5 is looking pretty awful.  Especially day 3...which simply says, walk 5 minutes.  Run 20!  What the.....?!?!  Are you kidding me?  Tracey has a rule...she doesn't look ahead.  In fact, she just plugs in the little application and doesn't even know what she is going to do for the day...she just does what the voice tells her to do.  My approach is obviously different.  I need to know what I'm doing a week from now so that I can be prepared mentally, even if I'm not ready physically.  
So I asked Trace, "What do we do AFTER the 5K?"  I mean...our intentions are to run a 1/2 marathon...5K is a bit short of that.  Turns out there is (of course) a couch potato to 10K application that we can follow once we have completed the 5K.  Oh goody.  Still 10K...that's only 6 miles or so.  Still looking at 13 in a year.  Someone told us that if we can do a 10K then a 1/2 marathon will be easy.  I'm not one to argue with a professional, but...I Don't THINK so.  Seems to me there is a big difference between 6 miles and 13 miles...like...umm...7 miles!
However, I am once again willing to suspend my disbelief until I cross the finish line.  Not really...I don't believe it for one minute.  Let's hope I am singing a different tune by the end of this all.  
I know, we aren't officially "half way there"...but we're on our way and this song is going to be the anthem we sing.  Livin' on a Prayer....

1 comment:

  1. I am pround of you Shan. I want you to know that I admire your discipline and outlook on this huge undertaking. I am behind you all the way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete