Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"Takin' it Easy" by The Eagles

I went over to the gym today fully prepared to grit my teeth and do today's run.  I was excited.  I knew I could do it.  But I had a lingering shadow of doubt.  Not because it was gonna be a difficult run (it was) but because that ever unpredictable knee of mine had been becoming gradually stiffer as the day wore on.  I was already limping and going down steps one step at a time.  Not a good sign, but I wanted to try.  So I went over to the gym.  Climbed on the treadmill and walked for 5 minutes...at a pace MUCH slower then usual.  Taking my clue from that when the application voice (who needs a name, by the way) told me to jog...I decided to jog.  Slowly.  It lasted a full minute before my knee literally gave out and I found myself in the embarrassing position of being shot off a treadmill into a pile on the floor.  Point taken.  I didn't get to do my run today.  I'm sad.  I'm very sad.  I decided to lift weights instead.  And then, just to make SURE, I climbed back on the treadmill (isn't there some saying about falling off a horse and getting back on that applies here?).  I walked for 5 minutes.  And then ran....for another 60 seconds....and again, the knee buckled.  I was prepared this time though and grabbed onto the railings.  My feet shot out behind me, and I looked like a total fool trying to figure out how to stop the machine without getting ejected again.  I'll spare you the details.  Suffice it to say, for the first time since starting this venture I had to skip my run.  I'm hoping that within the next 48 hours my knee will improve and I'll be able to go over there and kick some tail.  But for now, I'm mournfully conceding and following the good advice of The Eagles and "Takin' It Easy".  But I'm NOT gonna like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment