Saturday, October 3, 2009

W:3 D:1 Shan

It was raining tonight by the time I got the chance to head out for my run.  So, I went to the gym and used the treadmill.  I wasn't sure I would like it, but...much to my surprise...I LOVED it.  I loved having music.  I loved being able to watch my distance, and monitor how many calories I was burning and how long I was running all on a little dashboard in front of me.  I also found that I kept my stride more even and pushed myself to go a little faster and maintain a regular speed.  This will be a good training tool for me in the future.  I'm considering running on a treadmill once a week to make sure I'm keeping my pace fast enough.  Week 3 is a bit trickier then the other 2 weeks.  Walk 90 seconds.  Jog 90 Seconds.  Walk 3 minutes.  Jog 3 minutes.  Repeat.  Then I'm done.  I did 1.5 miles in 20 minutes.  It felt great to be able to accomplish this, but it wasn't easy.  I keep waiting for it to get easy.  And every once in a while I am still daunted by the fact that I'm doing a half marathon in about 11 months...and I still can't do a 5K (3 miles).  How can I possibly run 13 miles? Right now it seems impossible.  But the prospect of a 5K is no longer so daunting.  So, I'll focus on the 5K for now.  Baby steps.   
Incidentally, I'm interested in your favorite running songs...care to share?  

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Way to go Shannon! Do you still want to try and get a Thanksgiving 5k in this november? I think there is Turkey trot somewhere in our neck of the woods...Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete