Monday, October 12, 2009

Two and Turkeys (Shan)

Today I hit a mini-mile marker.  I ran 2 miles.  For some of you, this might not seem like a big deal.  But, you aren't running in my shoes.  For me *THIS* is a big deal.  4 weeks ago I struggled to run for 60 seconds.  I was cursing every step I took and questioning my sanity along the way.  There was a lot of self-doubt but also a lot of support.  An alarming amount of support, in fact.  I am inspired by so many people (mostly women, gotta give 'em props)....I'm learning that lots of my friends run...and lots more are starting to run.  Today, I ran for 5 minutes.  WITHOUT stopping.  It's a big leap from the 60 seconds I started with...but still a long way from the final goal.  Which is why we make little goals along the way.  I'm going to run a 5K in November.   Are there any East Coasters who want to run with me?  Maybe we'll organize our OWN Turkey Trot....strollers optional.  No entry fee.  And probably no prizes.   I know, tempting right?  But, there will be some good laughs, good company, good memories...and an incredible sense of accomplishment.  If you're interested, let me know.  Lots of us take off for Thanksgiving and travel, but since we are organizing it, we can choose the date.  It's open for discussion.  Anyone in?  Let's talk turkey....

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely in for the Turkey Trot. I'm around from the day before Thanksgiving, to the Sunday after!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in!!! Maybe the Saturday after? It'll give us time to recover from the turkey dinner. Or the wednesday before so we can work up an appetite!!

    ReplyDelete